Monday, July 15, 2024





Byter and friend John P sent me an email with a link to photographs and commentaries about the 1924 Paris Olympics.

If you have watched the film Chariots of Fire you will recognise some of the names. Likewise if you watched the earlier Tarzan films and the TV series Jungle Jim.

The link:
"Historic images from the 1924 Olympics in Paris"

Thanks John.


Historic images from the 1924 Olympics in Paris

Camille Fine
USA Today
Posted 14 July 2024

English middle distance runner Hyla Bristow Stallard (1901-1973) crosses the finish line in first place to win the Men's 880 yards event at the Amateur Athletics Association (AAA) Championships at Stamford Bridge stadium in London in June 1924. H. B. Stallard would go on to win the bronze medal for Great Britain in the Men's 100 metres event at the 1924 Summer Olympics in Paris, France on July 10.

American athlete Harold Osborn (1899 - 1975) taking gold in the high jump at the Paris Olympics.

American swimmer Johnny Weissmuller takes a breath while swimming freestyle. Johnny Weissmuller won three swimming golds and a bronze playing water polo during the 1924 Summer Olympics in Paris and two further swimming golds at the 1928 Summer Olympics in Amsterdam.

The first ever Olympic Village, built for the 1924 games in Paris.

Boxers Alfred O Barber (right) (Bantamweight - placed 5th in the 1924 Paris Olympics) and A Groom, Paris Olympic Games.

American decathlete and actor Chuck Lewis (1899–1983), American high jumper Alma Richards (1890-1963), American sprinter Charley Paddock (1900-1943), American coach Boyd Comstock (year of birth unknown-1950), and American hurdler Fred Kelly (1891-1974) during a break in training for the 1924 Summer Olympics, at film studios - the set of Douglas Fairbanks' 'The Thief of Bagdad' can be seen in the background - in Los Angeles, California, 1924.

Athletes sitting in front of a cabin in the Olympic Village at the 1924 Summer Olympics in Paris, France, 1924. The 1924 Games were the first Games to have an Olympic Village, with a number of cabins built near the stadium to accommodate visiting athletes.

Scottish sprinter Eric Liddell (1902-1945), winner of the quarter mile event at the Amateur Athletics Association (AAA) Championships, posed on the track at Stamford Bridge stadium in London in June 1924. Eric Liddell would go on to win the gold medal for the Great Britain team in the Men's 400 metres event at the 1924 Summer Olympics in Paris, France on July 11.

English sprinter Harold Abrahams (1899-1978) crosses the finish line in first place to win the Men's 100 yards event at the Amateur Athletics Association (AAA) Championships at Stamford Bridge stadium in London in June 1924. Harold Abrahams would go on to win the gold medal for Great Britain in the Men's 100 metres event at the 1924 Summer Olympics in Paris, France on July 7.

American track and field athlete DeHart Hubbard (1903-1976) posed in 1924. DeHart Hubbard won the gold medal for the United States team in the final of the Men's long jump event at the 1924 Summer Olympics in Paris on July 8.

American track and field athlete Bud Houser (1901-1994) in action in 1924. Bud Houser won the gold medal for the United States team in the final of the Men's shot put event at the 1924 Summer Olympics in Paris on July 8.

Aerial view of the Colombes Olympic Stadium during the Paris 1924 Olympic Games.

Reims Olympic Stadium during the Paris 1924 Olympic Games.

The Olympic Village catering hall at Colombes during the 1924 Olympic Games in France.

The front of a Paris department store during the 1924 Olympic Games.

Scottish athlete Eric Liddell (1902 - 1945) winning the 440 yards race at the Amateur Athletics Association championships at Stamford Bridge, London, UK. Eric Liddell, known as the 'Flying Scotsman' went to the Paris Olympics in 1924 as the favourite to win the 100 metres race but refused to run because he felt that running on a Sunday conflicted with his Christian beliefs. He won a bronze medal in the 200 metres event instead and then ran the 400 metre race despite having little experience at the distance. He not only won the gold medal but broke the world record by completing the race in 47.6 seconds, an achievement which is celebrated in the 1981 film 'Chariots of Fire'. Liddell gained two degrees, one in science and the other in divinity, before leaving Britain to work as a Scottish Congregational Church missionary in China as his parents had before him.

Plus some more . . .

Richard Norris Williams narrowly avoided having both legs amputated after jumping into frozen water during the sinking of the Titanic on 15 April 1912.

Williams jumped from a height of more than 12 metres into minus two-degree water, while his father perished when the first funnel fell from the ship. The young tennis player swam to reach a lifeboat, and made it to the RMS Carpathia, which had come to rescue survivors. His legs were frozen and a doctor suggested they should be amputated immediately. "I'm going to need these legs!" he shouted. Insisting on walking around the deck of the Carpathia, he gradually rediscovered feeling in his lower limbs.

Barely 12 weeks later, Williams was on court at the Longwood Challenge Bowl near Boston, in a match against Karl Howell Behr, another survivor of the Titanic! Behr won in five sets, but while his career was coming to an end, Williams' was only just taking off. Later in 1912, he won his first Grand Slam title – the mixed doubles with Mary Browne at the US National Championships, the precursor to the US Open.

A superb volleyer, Williams won the Davis Cup with the USA in 1913, 1921, 1923, 1925 and 1926, recording 10 victories and just three defeats in total, and he remained unbeaten in the doubles. He won the men's singles title at the US National Championships in 1914 and 1916. He was Wimbledon champion in the men's doubles with Chuck Garland in 1920, and alongside Vincent Richards in 1925 and 1926. In the intervening period, he served in the US army during the First World War, and was awarded the L├ęgion d'Honneur and the Croix de Guerre.

At the 1924 Olympics he was unsuccessful in individual categories because of a foot injury. In the mixed doubles, Williams teamed up with Hazel Hotchkiss Wightman in the mixed doubles and they won gold.

Finnish runner Paavo Nurmi won five gold medals to add to the three he had won in 1920. His most spectacular performance occurred on 10 July. First, he easily won the 1500m and then, a mere 55 minutes later, he returned to the track to win the 5,000m.

The 1924 Games introduced the Closing Ceremony ritual as we know it today. This involves the raising of three flags: the flag of the International Olympic Committee, the flag of the host nation and the flag of the next host nation.

34 Australians marched in the Paris 1924 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony. Australia won 6 medals in Paris: 3 gold, 1 silver and 2 bronze. The gold medals were won by Anthony Winter in the triple jump, Dick Eve in plain high diving, and swimmer Andrew ‘Boy’ Charlton, who became the first Australian to win the 1500m freestyle. All 3 champions lived around the Sydney suburb of Manly and received a great civic reception upon their return home.

Crowds watching the departure of the Australian Olympic Team - on the S.S. "Ormonde" - to the 1924 Paris Olympics. Staff of the Sydney Harbour Bridge Branch of the Department of Public Works are also on board - on their way to London to check the working drawings and specifications of the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Andrew “Boy” Charlton, Paris 1924 Olympic champion at 17. 
Charlton had turned 17 on the eve of the swimming competition, celebrating with a world record in his Olympic debut in the heats of the 1500m freestyle. Charlton also won400m freestyle bronze and joined another Manly teenager, his best friend, Ernest Henry in the silver-medal winning Australian 4x200m freestyle that finished second behind the star-studded US team, led by the legendary five-time Olympic gold medallist, he of Tarzan fame, Johnny Weissmuller.

Paris Olympic 400m freestyle medallists (L-R) “Boy” Charlton (Aus Bronze), Johnny Weissmuller (USA Gold) and Arne Borg (SWE silver).

Sunday, July 14, 2024





Today begins a new series of past photographs of the hometowns of some of the overseas Byter faithful.

First batter up is David C B, who hails from Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire, England.


About Derbyshire:

Derbyshire is a ceremonial county in the East Midlands of England. It borders Greater Manchester, West Yorkshire, and South Yorkshire to the north, Nottinghamshire to the east, Leicestershire to the south-east, Staffordshire to the south and west, and Cheshire to the west. Derby is the largest settlement, and Matlock is the county town.

The county has an area of 2,625 km2 (1,014 sq mi) and a population of 1,053,316. The east of the county is more densely populated than the west, and contains the county's largest settlements: Derby (261,400), Chesterfield (88,483), and Swadlincote (45,000).

Burial mounds of Neolithic settlers are situated throughout the county. These chambered tombs were designed for collective burial and are mostly located in the central Derbyshire region.

The Neolithic henge monument of Arbor Low in the Derbyshire Peak District. It has been dated to 2500 BCE

During the Roman conquest of Britain, the invaders were attracted to Derbyshire for its lead ore in the limestone hills of the area. They settled throughout the county, with forts built near Brough in the Hope Valley and near Glossop. Later they settled round Buxton, famed for its warm springs, and set up a fort near modern-day Derby in an area now known as Little Chester.

Several kings of Mercia are buried in the Repton area.

Following the Norman Conquest, much of the county was subject to the forest laws.Forests were designed as hunting areas reserved for the monarch or (by invitation) the aristocracy. The concept was introduced by the Normans to England in the 11th century, and at the height of this practice in the late 12th and early 13th centuries, fully one-third of the land area of Southern England was designated as royal forest.

Derbyshire is rich in natural mineral resources such as lead, iron, coal, and limestone, which have been exploited over a long period. Lead, for example, has been mined since Roman times. The limestone outcrops in the central area led to the establishment of large quarries to supply the industries of surrounding towns with lime for building and steelmaking, and latterly in the 20th-century cement manufacture.

The Industrial Revolution also increased demand for building stone, and in the late 19th and early 20th-century, the arrival of the railways led to a large number of stone quarries being established.

Ruins of the Magpie Mine, a well-preserved disused lead mine near the village of Sheldon in Derbyshire, England.

Derbyshire's relative remoteness in the late 18th century and an abundance of fast-flowing streams led to a proliferation of the use of hydropower at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, following the mills pioneered by Richard Arkwright. Derbyshire has been said to be the home of the Industrial Revolution, and part of the Derwent Valley has been given World Heritage status in acknowledgement of this historic importance.

Derbyshire is one of only three counties permitted to make cheese that is labelled as Stilton cheese. The others are Leicestershire and Nottinghamshire.



Allen's draper's shop in Bakewell, 1899

Deep snow drift, Farley, 1947
This shows the harsh winter of 1947. Snow fell virtually every day in February and March and there were equally severe freezing conditions. Here the photographer has stopped to show his car dwarfed by the snow cliffs.

Switchback Ride, Matlock Bath, 1910
This rollercoaster opened in 1889, making it one of the earliest in England. Although only 140 yards long, it added an extra novelty for visitors to Matlock Bath before being dismantled in 1934.

Snow falls on dairy cart, Buxton 1965
The horse was called 'Tom' and the man steering him is called Mr R Mosley. Both were working for Morten's Diary which was still using the same form of transport as in 1907.

Camping at Castle Top Farm, Cromford, 1936
A family photograph from an album made by Alfie Johnson extolling the virtues of the camping life at Castle Top Farm. He said: "As long as I live, the hills must call me."

This is how part of Church Street, in Ripley, used to look

Church Street, Ripley

The view now



The tram lines are visible on the old Nottingham Road


The tram makes its way up Nottingham Road

A tram-less Nottingham Road now.

The old Westminster Bank on Nottingham Road


Nottingham Road heading into the town centre


Ruins of Wingfield Manor House, with South Wingfield in the background, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, England.

Researchers previously thought this cave was an 18th-century folly, or decorative structure constructed to enhance the natural landscape. It is now thought the early medieval cave structure in Derbyshire, England, may be the former home of a ninth-century king, and the United Kingdom’s oldest intact domestic interior. New research conducted by experts from the Royal Agricultural University (RAU) and Wessex Archaeology suggests the 1,200-year-old dwelling once housed Eardwulf, an exiled ruler of the medieval English kingdom Northumbria. The team published its analysis in the Proceedings of the University of Bristol Speleological Society.

Eardwulf ascended to the throne following the murders of his two immediate predecessors. He ruled Northumbria from 796 to 806, when he was deposed. Eardwulf spent his final years in exile in Mercia (another kingdom in the Midlands), ultimately dying in 830.

During the seventh, eighth and ninth centuries, England had at least seven major kingdoms and 200 kings, as the Independent points out. Most of these monarchs did not leave the throne of their own volition: Up to 16 percent were murdered. Another 16 percent were killed in battle. Thirty-three percent were peacefully removed from power; only a third ended their reigns through natural death.

A view of the east window of Dale (Stanley Park) Abbey, from the interior. It is more often viewed from outside. A small part of the return of the north chancel wall is visible on the left.

Dale Abbey was a religious house, close to Ilkeston in Derbyshire. Its ruins are located at the village of Dale Abbey, which is named after it. Its foundation legend portrays it as developing from a hermitage, probably in the early 12th century. It was constituted as an abbey in 1204. Although there were accusations of grave immorality, the abbey was allowed to pay a fine to continue its existence until 1538 when it was dissolved by Henry VIII as part of his dissolution of monsteries.

Castle Street, Melbourne, Derbyshire
Melbourne is named after the mill stream (Old English “myln burna”) that flows south to north down the centre of the parish. Known today as Carr Brook, it runs into the River Trent which forms Melbourne’s northern boundary.

A hall near Kings Newton, a village in South Derbyshire.
Unlike many villages in Derbyshire, Kings Newton is not mentioned in the Domesday book and is a "new town". Originally the hamlet was called Newton but the prefix of Kings was added to differentiate it from other Newtons in the surrounding counties.

The Holy Well in Kings Newton.
The Holy well was constructed around 1660, but has been refurbished at the end of the twentieth century

Whaley Bridge town centre
Whaley Bridge is a town and civil parish in the High Peak district of Derbyshire, England. It is situated on the River Goyt, 16 miles (26 km) south-east of Manchester.

Old photos of Whaley Bridge: